Remote coaching of children must follow safeguarding principles
In addition the RFU expect the same standards of planning, risk assessment, adherence to the laws of the game and coaching safe practice. Coaches must be providing guidance with the overall RFU instructions and work with the participants needs and capabilities.
Here’s the advice around online coaching provided by the Child Protection In Sport Unit
Any club considering online coaching to anyone under the age of 18 must consider the matters raised in the link .
Key issues being:
- Does the club have an online safety policy?
- Will there be specific procedures to follow in the event of concerns arising during online interaction, for example between a coach and a young person?
- Do all those using, or likely to use, online coaching know what the codes of conduct are for these environments?
- What processes are in place to ensure the coach has the correct coaching qualifications ?
- Parental involvement is critical to ensure you have parental consent for involvement in the activity. How is this managed by the coach?
- Consider the platform that is being used. Are privacy and confidentiality settings appropriate?
- One to one coaching
There have been some issues with Zoom and the advice is that people register their interest and the meeting ID and password is sent out prior to meeting to that selected group, not widely published.
One to one coaching with children
Careful consideration needs to be given to this activity in order that coaches do no breach either the Government Guidelines or RFU Safeguarding Policy;
- The Government has stated that if you are a personal trainer/coach you can now work with clients outdoors, providing you are alone and only meeting with 1 person from outside of your household, outdoors, and you are staying a minimum of 2 meters apart.
RFU Safeguarding Policy is quite clear and must be adhered to;
- 'To provide a safe environment, clubs should ensure that their volunteers and employees when working with children avoid working in isolation out of the sight of parents or other volunteers'
For any further guidance please contact firstname.lastname@example.org